Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sunny Tuesday in Wales

For some reason, the weather is beautiful in the rainiest part of Britain. I got a lift to Aberystwyth this morning with my couchsurfing host/ new friend; after wandering around a bit I found the library. After poking through the old books, reading Welsh fairie stories and King Arthur tales, I found tofu in one of the two health food stores. I love how eco-friendly this country is.

Eating lunch on the beach, I saw dolphins playing in the water. First time that I have ever seen one. They lingered for awhile before leaving, and eventually I continued to walk up the beach, over the large rocks covered in light rings and patterns, towards the coast path.

I walked for five miles, following a tiny footpath up and down the cliffs, through meadows and by sheep, from Aberystwyth to Borth. I would stop on the edge of the cliff, and sit among the wildflowers, and just watch the waves crash far below. If you look straight ahead, you can't see the earth, just ocean and sky. As if you're flying. At several moments throughout the day I could only throw my hands up to the sky in awe of the earth's beauty, unable to find words.

No comments:

Post a Comment