Saturday, August 8, 2009

From Wales to Ireland (Aug 1st to 2nd)

When I left my cousins in June, I promised to come back for the new baby's baptism on August 2nd.

My flight was from Bristol on Sunday morning, arriving about an hour or so before it started. But since it is difficult to get anywhere in Wales after midnight, I left Corris at 8p.m. on a train to Shrewsbury.

I remembered borrowing 10 pence from the station workers, because I was just short of change for a bottle of water. They seemed so happy, joking around and asking me to sing and dance for it...

The plan was to sleep in Bristol airport, and by that I mean take a train from Shrewsbury to Newport (south Wales), arrive at midnight, have a pint in a pub to wait for the 2 a.m. bus. I had heard about the insanity of nightlife in Wales, but it is still slightly horrific to see. The way the girls dress is a thousand times worse than Ireland, and people literally walk around in costumes worthy of Halloween even though it is the summer.

I arrived at Bristol around 3, I think, and waited an hour for the airport bus.

When I arrived at 4 a.m., the place was absolutely packed, and even though I found a few seats where I could lay down, there was no way I was going to sleep.

So I got a cup of coffee and waited for my 11 a.m. flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment