Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Long Road Back to Paris

To be honest, I have lost my ability to focus on travel planning in the past couple of weeks. Chicago and life back in America was brought back to my attention at the end of July, and since then I have been focused entirely on the moment or thinking about the future.

I have sort of dropped any bit of travel magic I used to have.

For example, in the business of planning a trip for two across a few countries, moving every day, and the cheapest way possible, I managed to forget to buy my ryanair ticket back to Paris. Where my suitcase is.

At the moment, I am in Dublin. I was in Kenmare with Megan, but left for Limerick yesterday. Couchsurfed there with an awesome guy from Wales who loves Chicago (we are opposites). Talked about travel and philosophy, whether you could prove the nonexistence of a purple elephant.

Mostly I shocked him by how little of a plan I had. I cannot find a couch in Paris, no matter how many people I apply to. Basically, I have a plan up to 7 p.m. tomorrow.

So far: took a train to Dublin, and have spent the afternoon wandering around here.

Plan: bus, ferry to Wales, bus to London, bus to Dover, ferry to France, bus to Paris. I think.

Then, I am not sure.

I went back to Hamburg for a towel, and now to Paris for a suitcase. And the biggest thesaurus I can carry.

1 comment: