Monday, August 17, 2009

Spanish Mail

I happened to be talking to my mother on skype while she opened the box I had mailed home from Spain, full of gifts for my family.

"There is a length of rope in here with hooks. I swear to god, Bridget. Looks like someone's climbing gear."

Also, various dirty clothes, a letter to someone else, and a video camera, along with about half of the things I had tossed in there. All the gifts were gone.

We're guessing that a corrupt official dumps out all the boxes on the floor, takes what looks valuable, and throws anything back into the boxes and sends it along. Which is why half of somebody else's box got into mine.

The camera must have been missed. Now we just want to get it back to the owner, somehow.

Was funny at first, then sad when we realized that everything I had carefully chosen was gone. Since Spain is not in Africa, I was pretty surprised.

2 comments:

  1. that SUCKS. I'm sorry (empathy, not sympathy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The postal workers in Pennsylvania were not surprised at all to hear this. They actually said that they warn people about mailing things back from Spain, that it is as bad as South Africa. And they just had the same thing happen to someone else the same day, but that time was from Italy.

    ReplyDelete