Since I left Paris, I have been surrounded by a range of accents. All the variations within the Scottish, Welsh, and English, not to mention the different Irish ones.
I have learned that I am a sponge for them. I literally have to fight off picking up the one of whoever I am talking to. Wales was especially difficult, because it was in the beginning. Oddly, Ireland was a little bit easier than the U.K., except that the ones I have heard are so different that I can't keep them straight.
My cousing Padraig has what I consider to be the best Irish accent. It is that Mayo one, where all the words a little bit tighter and flatter. For the first day, I was wondering why his accent was so damn familiar, and then I realized that, if anyone has seen War of the Buttons, it is exactly the same as the character Fergus. I am determined to learn it.
The problem is that when I tried out my Irish accent the other day, it was just a mix of every accent I have heard in the last couple of weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment