I slipped out of the party, leaving behind an unbelievable amount of fruit and alcohol, to find an internet cafe where I could call my bank.
After using three different phones at one place, unable to connect, I told the woman there that I would only pay for the one phone call that had worked.
I do not usually yell at someone in shop, and I walked away shaken and stressed. I had been trying for days to sort this thing out, but traveling does not match well with bureaucracy.
Trying to compose myself, I sat down on the ground in the courtyard of the apartment building, so that when I returned to the party I would not seem upset.
A young couple came up to me, asking if I was alright. First in German, then in English. When I explained what was going on, but that everything was fine, I was with friends, etc, just stressed out, they were incredibly kind.
They explained that they used to live in the apartment complex, but their place had just been ruined by a fire. They did not have insurance. Their daughter is living with her grandparents, and they are staying with an unpleasant neighbor until they figure out what to do. Or else they would give me ten Euros, or something.
I told them that they had far more to worry about, but they still insisted on guiding me to the next internet cafe, a couple of blocks away.
Along the way, they explained that they were drug addicts. They were open about it, stating it as fact, with no excuses. I noticed that the woman shook a little bit. Before their now-burned apartment, they lived on the streets.
They spoke with the owner of the call shop in German for me, and then left, telling me they would be across the street buying cigarettes. A few minutes later, they came back to check on me, to see if it was working, and then waved goodbye.
I was stunned. Here were two people that I was supposed to fear, yet I felt entirely safe with them, who showed me every kindness. And, I reminded myself, I had very little to worry about in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment