I find that things in Italy are closed for various reasons that are often not clear. Trying to find a way to get on the internet in Torino, I started at a main library (following directions from my Greenpeace Italian), which was closed due to construction, I think, considering I had the entire conversation with the two women working there in Italian. As in, they spoke Italian, and I tried to piece it all together from similarities to French and English, and general guessing and hand motions.
The next library (after some much needed sorbet), was open, but the internet room was closed. The librarian sent me on with directions, and called ahead to the next library. It turned out the place he marked on my map was wrong, but it did not matter, because I had barely gotten out the door when a guitar maker named Andrea asked me if I was walking to the library.
He guided me the entire way there, fortunately, and I asked him about Italian politics and the people. In his opinion, Italy has been electing the same kind of politician, over and over, out of fear and laziness. And that they have an embarassing president...
No comments:
Post a Comment