Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Tu parles anglese?"

Emre and I met up to see the tower again in daylight, where we took a thousand pictures, and he posed, "holding up" the tower. I nearly died from the touristy nature of our morning, but I never said a thing. He bought so many Pisa shot glasses...

After deciding that I wanted to spend the night in Florence, but still go to Viareggio for the beach during the day, we split up at the train station. He continued on to Rome, and I left to swim in the Mediterranean.

After finally communicating with an Italian on the train, because she spoke French, I set off to walk to the beach. Two young women were standing at the map, so I asked them if they spoke English. They are from Michigan.

So we walked together to the beach (a very long, hot walk), but when we finally reached the sea, it was worth it. The water temperature was perfection, and the sand was so smooth. Basically collapsed, piling our bags next to the water. We spent the afternoon swimming and sunbathing, and eventually caught the train back to Florence.

I am so very glad that I met them, not only because they are so much fun, but also because without them it would have been a very stressful day. Such a long walk to the beach, then I would not have been able to leave my bag (I decided I would rather be flexible than leave it in Pisa), and we had some trouble getting the train back. Definitely a bright spot in my Italy trip.

By the way, if you thought I ate poorly in Paris, that was nothing compared to Italy. Stores close early, so I always missed them for some reason or other, and the only food available was gelato and pizza. From ten a.m. to midnight on Sunday, I ate five popsicles, a little bag of chips and some crackers...

No comments:

Post a Comment