Thursday, July 16, 2009

Half a Kroner, and Christiania

For some strange reason I have yet to explain, I completely forgot the PIN number for my debit card, which I discoverd in Copenhagen. I can remember my card number by heart, various numbers from random things, even passwords from three years ago.

So I exchanged my last ten Euros for Danish kroners, got a reservation for the train the following day, and bought a bus ticket to meet my couchsurfing host.

Who was a wonderful young Danish woman, who met me at the bus stop with a giant hug. We quickly became friends. After getting settled at her mom's place (due to her flooded apartment), we went out to a place called Christiania.

In the sixties, hippies moved into some abandoned buildings near the center of Copenhagen, and the community has grown to include a collection of houses, cafes, bars, and market stalls. It is almost autonomous: they openly sell hash and pot, and the police do not stop them as long as they do not sell hard drugs.

We walked around, had a few beers, explored, etc. There is a beautiful little lake lined with unique houses built by people from Christiania.

With my last twenty kroner, I bought some amazing falafel.

I think I should keep the half-kroner, which was all I had left.


2 comments:

  1. gah, when were you in Denmark?? It's so hard to keep track! lol

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have totally fallen behind in this blogging thing.

    i am in barcelona right now...

    ReplyDelete