I decided to spend the day in Barcelona, because my next flight, to Seville, was not until the evening.
I went on a search for Gaudi´s buildings. They are like nothing I have seen before, defying all convention and expectation. They curve, with strange sculptures and materials, odd perspectives and surfaces.
The first was the most incredible, a cathedral that looked like it belonged in a science fiction story, with a jaw like entrance, multiple spires, statues cut in a square style, and even towers of sculpted fruits and vegetables. I could only stare, and walk around it, finding new things to look at in every moment.
Other buildings were wavy, or covered in bright mosaics, even shiny. Before each one was a crowd of people taking photos.
I walked through a square full of market stands selling pets: tortoises of all kinds, turtles, fish, rabbits, hedgehogs, birds etc. Many animals that I have never seen sold in a pet shop.
There were the most incredible living statues, surrounded by people taking pictures. Quite strange, but very cool to see.
Eventually, I had to return to Girona, but my train was late and my bus left early, so unfortunately I had to take a cab to the airport or miss my flight.
There was terrible traffic on the highway to the airport, so my driver turned around and took another way, getting me there on time. I wonder if the bus was stuck in the traffic, and was late...
I had every intention of sleeping in the airport in Seville, but I received a text from one of my Spanish friends, asking me if was going to be in town that night. Since my phone is out of money, and it has been impossible to add money on the road, I sent her a quick email from the airport, that in fact, I was arriving that night.
No comments:
Post a Comment