I met my host, a young woman living with her husband and small child just outside of the city. She took my backpack, gave me directions, and left me to wander the city for the afternoon.
I had the best falafel I have ever had, at a little place near to this internet cafe, and then walked around. I got to their house around 7:30 p.m., a cute little stone place in the suburbs of Hamburg. Literally has a white picket fence. But much cooler than a typical house built in the 50s (which they thought was old, but to me a house is not old until it has seen a hundred years), because they have a singing bathroom, where the lightswitch is connected to the radio, playing beach tunes, and there are fake palm leaves, a little surfboard-turned-light, and pictures of hula dancers. And they have a trampoline, which of course I jumped on while my host cooked dinner (she is vegan as well) using vegetables we had just picked from their garden.
I learned that they are planning a six-month trip, starting in November, where they are going to spend most of it in New Zealand, WWOOFing. But they thought my journey was amazing, which is sweet considering their plans. And it was promising to hear that couchsurfing had opened up their world in Hamburg, made it more exciting. Since I plan on hosting when I am in Chicago, this was very, very, encouraging. I think it will keep my world as open as I feel it is now.
Slept for a long time this morning, and then went into the city.
I wandered among the major shopping district, and was reminded again that I have a German clothing style, in a way. Not much of a shopper, but I cannot help noticing. I found a bookstore, where I read travel books until I was kicked out for not buying anything. At least that is what I think happened, since she was speaking German and all I know is that I am not allowed to sit on the floor in a bookstore here.
But I can have the simplest conversations in German, if I pay attention and guess what they are talking about. Mostly with cashiers. I kind of love it, as sort of a game, to see how long I can last until I have to ask them if they speak English. It is actually going quite well.
I walked by the lake, along the canals, past restuarants and shops, and many, many ducks and swans. I love Hamburg, because the buildings are beautiful and the birds are hilarious to watch, as they swim along, diving at each other and hopping up onto the walkway. People stopped me for directions, and I was often able to help them, because I had a free map from the tourist office or had been to where they were looking for. I ended up at St. Michael's church, where I went to the top to see over the city.
The view was astounding, and you could walk in a circle, able to see the entire panorama. The light glittered off of the river, and I could see that the residential buildings enclosed courtyards, like Paris. I could see the path I had taken through the city, and where I needed to go next. I took the stairs back down, walking through octagon shaped room after room, able to see the metal beams and large bells.
I found the subway, and went back to the same falafel place, and now I am going to go back to the house to make dinner. And maybe jump on the trampoline again.
No comments:
Post a Comment