I forgot to mention that I saw a little old lady leaning out of her balcony, dangling a large plastic bag on a rope. A young woman on the street below loaded a large loaf of bread into it, and the old lady began to hoist it up, all the while a little lapdog running around her feet.
I found a second hand shop absolutely stuffed with books. After sifting through for a long while, I found two. I was able to trade in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde (finally read it, Dan! I am quite confident he does not read this...). The others I had left with people along the way, or given to the hostel. I picked up Crimson Petal and White as well as The Once and Future King. I have already finished the first one, nearly a thousand pages, and turned it in for another two today. I am reading quickly, something I delight in, because I have so little time in Chicago.
My friend and I lingered in the shops before going back to swim, tossing a ball in the water (150 times with no one dropping it), and eventually a final goodbye to this incredible little family that has welcomed me into their lives off and on the past few weeks.
I ran a few errands, did a little people watching, and eventually wandered back to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment