As I was walking up the stairs to my room, the guy at the reception reminded me that there would be another party in the hostel tonight, this time the theme was paella (Spanish rice and seafood) and sangria.
I thanked him, trying to explain that I could not join*, and said, "No seafood. Not in seven years."
He was shocked, of course, and as I continued up the steps, I realized how grounded that made me feel. I remembered how much time has passed, and how I feel a sense of permanence in that. Odd, maybe, but a good feeling.
*One of the guys who works here, Louis (Spaniard reading Kirkegaard, hostel worker/bartender/cook/beach recommender who has become my friend) made a vegetarian version, and came over to me with a plate and an enormous glass of sangria, which he made, of course. Might be the best I have had in Spain.
No comments:
Post a Comment