Thursday, July 2, 2009

Italian trains

The train from Milano to Torino was so miserably hot...no air conditioning, tons of people. But as I was sitting there, I realized that feeling that heat, smelling the air, and hearing the voices, I knew I was in Italy. That visceral difference that makes life, life. Obvious, but beautiful in a way.

Met up with my CS hosts, several young Columbians getting their Master's degrees. We ate a whole, amazingly cold melon, a relief from the heat.

My host and I walked to the nearest grocery store, and got completely distracted by the produce section. There were fruits and vegetables that I have never seen before, with strange shapes and colors. I tend to find exactly the same vegetables all over the world, so to see something completely foreign was shocking. Of course we took silly pictures with strange spotted red beans, and a green fruit with a pointy end...I can't describe it. Oh right, I also took pictures of the aisle entirely reserved for pasta, as well as the long wall of pasta sauce...

A cool shower, a great meal, and a full day of plans to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment