I took the train to Budapest, across the length of Austria. The DB train system is the best in Europe...so clean, so organized.
Austria is my favorite so far, because to the west are the beginning of the Alps, with relatively small mountains but they are topped in snow, and covered in pine trees. Again, the air is cool and incredible, and makes me feel like I could not imagine being anywhere else in the world. I wish I could have taken pictures, but it did not work with the moving train. Even now, thinking about it, I am in awe of its beauty. Just like Wales, where I could barely breathe it was so gorgeous.
Then, towards the west, the land is flatter, with more farms than hills. But, like Italy, there are fields and fields of sunflowers. I am collecting the word for sunflower in the various languages I travel through, something I started in Germany. The only rule is that I have to ask someone, I cannot look it up...
On the first train, after awhile I had the little room to myself, so I stretched out on one row of seats and slept. On the second train, it was packed, but at least I found a seat.
A young woman, wearing a sparkly tube top, tight jeans, uncomfortable heels, and fake eyelashes was sitting next to an elderly nun. Fascinating to watch them interact. And when we got to Budapest, I offered to help the nun and her friend lift their heavy bags down, and after thanking me and telling me her friend was coming, she told me she knew I was American because I was eating peanut butter.
Must stop that, and wearing flipflops, and whatever else. I at least do not have a huge backpack. As soon as I got out of Italy, everyone spoke to me in German, assuming that I was a local. I must look more Austrian than Italian...
In French it's tournesol. I realize you didn't ask and I'm not French, but I knew it and it made me happy so there.
ReplyDeletethat is like Hungarian...interesting...
ReplyDeleteI will still ask, though.