Friday, July 24, 2009

To Nerja, Spain, July 23rd

I took the early train to Malaga. My Spanish friend asked me to stay another day, but I had promised to meet my Hungarian friend last night. Even though it felt awful to leave her, I felt that I had to. Again, like many times in my travels, I have had to leave people too soon, been asked to stay longer. I wish I had more time. The problem is that I make commitments in the next town or country, or have a rigid plan (like a flight). I have been fortunate enough to be able to change plans at a moment´s notice, but not as much as I would like. I still regret having to leave Seville.

I arrived in Nerja around noon. I walked through town, nestled between the mountains and the sea; the buildings are old and white, the streets are small and full of shops, and the center plaza looks out over the water, with the cliffs in the distance.

I found the tourist office, to get a map, found my little cheap hotel, and eventually tracked down my Hungarian friend and her family, who are on vacation here.

We lounged by the beach, went swimming, and lay in the sun. Popsicles, palm trees, and sangria...

Last night, we went to a Hungarian restaurant. It was just like being back in Budapest, with similar food, and another shot of pure alcohol as an apertif... the group of Hungarians watched me closely, to see how I would react to the peach flavored liquor...

My friend and her parents are kind, considerate, and have a great sense of humor. I feel truly grateful to be able to spend time with them again, and it makes my life quite simple, here.

After dinner, we went out for a couple of drinks, and eventually went back to our respective hotels.

No comments:

Post a Comment