Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hungary to Germany

After lounging around the house, watching part of Mamma Mia (my not having seen it was a sacrilege in that house), and eating more amazing vegan Hungarian food, I took the train from Szolnok to Budapest, to catch the night train to Hamburg, Germany.

I had grown accustomed to being with my friend and her family, and it was difficult to say goodbye. But it turns out that we will be in Spain the same time next week, so I will meet her in Malaga.

On the night train, I shared a cabin with a Hungarian university student named Bernie. That was his nickname, actually, because I could not pronounce it. Night trains are kind of shady, or at least that one was. No one else was in our cabin, so after talking for awhile, we were able to each lay down over three seats and try to sleep. I felt a lot safer with him there, but it was more important that I was there for him, because there were three scary-looking prostitutes searching for customers on the train, followed by their pimp.

Anyway, we arrived in Stuttgart at 6am, where I said goodbye and looked for my connection to Hamburg. It was on an express train, obviously intended for business people, because mostly everyone else seemed to be in a suit.

It is a good thing I love trains, because it took me about 22 hours, which I fortunately did not count until I arrived in Hamburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment